Activesync Device not detected/ Error 678 - Is there a working solution?
Adrian Bell
2004-05-16 12:41:15 UTC
Hi,

I've seen a number of postings from people who have Active Sync Error 678
develop between their USB-connected PC & Jornada 720. There have also been
numerous helpful suggestions from members, however I can't find any reply of
a particular solution working.

Is this the unsolvable problem? The Microsoft solution
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=289706 is not ideal for me as
it is requires using serial and not USB.

I can get a painfully slow serial connection to work but not USB that I am
used to.

The strange things is that for 3 years, I have had no problem with my
various PCs (W98,W2K,XP), Activesync (3.1/5/6/7) & my Jornada 720.

The other week I had to reinstall my OS and programs on my current primary
Windows XP Professional PC - following a corrupt registry.

Now after installing Activesync and connecting my J720 via USB & the cradle,
I got:
1. On my PC, Hardware not recognised etc.
2. On my J720, "Can't start communications ...(Error 678)".

I think the only difference is that last time I got it working I installed
Activesync 3.5 then later upgraded to 3.7. This time I went straight to 3.7.

I suspect the problem might be with the driver for the Jornada 720's cradle.
I'm pretty sure that the driver installed OK in the past. I tried plugging
it to the various USB ports and got the same message. Does anyone know what
the Windows driver that recognises the 720 cradle is called and what version
it should be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Adrian
Raj Pillai
2004-05-16 13:43:11 UTC
Post by Adrian Bell
[...]
Hi Adrian,

Have you checked the following HP document for solving the "Error 678" --

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpia2302

--
Regards,
Raj
Adrian Bell
2004-05-19 11:50:05 UTC
Thanks for link Raj - I tried HPs recommended procedures but sadly to no
avail.

Regards
Adrian

"Raj Pillai" <***@Softhome.net> wrote in message news:***@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
<snipped>
Post by Raj Pillai
--
Regards,
Raj
Chris Tilley - HPC:Factor
2004-05-16 14:58:33 UTC
The actual driver's in:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\drivers
--
Chris Tilley
Editor-in-Chief
Adrian
Adrian Bell
2004-05-19 12:08:43 UTC
Chris,

Very interesting - My Activesync drivers directory was empty - I guess
because when my PC found a new USB device - it failed to install the driver
because it did not recognise it. I suspect that this is cause of the 678
error - rather than it being a timing issue with the polling of the device.
How can it successfully poll the PC if there are no drivers installed to
recognise it?

I also still have my old HDD with the previous install of ActiveSync 3.7
that had worked correctly (When my OS got corrupted - I installed a new HDD
and put the OS and Programs on it - making the old install and data
available as another Drive letter).

I can see in the old install (now H drive), I had the following files in the
C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\drivers directory:
wceusbsh.cat 45KB
wceusbsh.inf 63KB
wceusbsh.sys 102KB

I tried copying these files to my new C:\Program Files\Microsoft
ActiveSync\drivers directory; then right clicking <install> on the
wceusbsh.inf file but it didn't seem to do anything.

Unfortunately, I can't get the USB device install wizard to come up again as
I have already tried plugging the cradle into each port - I think it only
gives you the chance the first time you plug the device into a port.

Is there anyway to manually force the install of the USB drivers. I do have
Norton Cleansweep, so I was thinking of uninstalling Activesync 3.7; using
Cleansweep to remove any registry entries and trying the install again. Is
this worth a try?

Regards
Adrian
Adrian
szakeri
2004-05-27 01:39:17 UTC
[...]
in the
wceusbsh.cat 45KB
wceusbsh.inf 63KB
wceusbsh.sys 102KB
I tried copying these files to my new C:\Program Files\Microsoft
ActiveSync\drivers directory; then right clicking <install> on the
wceusbsh.inf file but it didn't seem to do anything.
Unfortunately, I can't get the USB device install wizard to come u
again as
I have already tried plugging the cradle into each port - I think i
only
gives you the chance the first time you plug the device into a port.
Is there anyway to manually force the install of the USB drivers.
do have
Norton Cleansweep, so I was thinking of uninstalling Activesync 3.7
using
Cleansweep to remove any registry entries and trying the instal
again. Is
this worth a try?
Regards
Adrian
in
Post by Chris Tilley - HPC:Factor
C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\drivers
--
Chris Tilley
Editor-in-Chief
HPC:Factor - http://www.hpcfactor.com/
678[vbcol=seagreen]
been[vbcol=seagreen]
reply[vbcol=seagreen]
me[vbcol=seagreen]
am[vbcol=seagreen]
primary[vbcol=seagreen]
installed[vbcol=seagreen]
plugging[vbcol=seagreen]
Post by Chris Tilley - HPC:Factor
*
Alright. Thanks everyone for their followup. I was having seriou
problems as original poster did.
The driver you are looking for is HP USBSync 1620
wceusbsh.cat 45KB
wceusbsh.inf 63KB
wceusbsh.sys 102KB
is correct.
it is not in the old location , and instead it is i
c:\windows\system32\drivers....with activesync 3.7 anyways.
anyways the trick is to get windows to reregister.

My solution:
1) run regclesn till no more dirty entries
2) go to contro panel -> system -> device manager -> view device b
connection -> plug and play bios -> pci bus -> usb host controller -
usb root hub

you are trying to have the cradle show up under here as
"HP USB Sync 1620"

easiest solution:
3)delete everything uner usb root hub.
4)from control panel run add new hardware
5)now everything under your computer's usb hub including the cradl
will be installed properly.
6)once this installation is performed, you will make sure to see "H
USB Sync 1620" under USB root hub
7)now initiate activesync connection form your 720...
8) and my HP 720 and win98 lived happily ever after
9) for a few days any ways
10) another MS conspiracy I tell you
11) if it is not shaft IBM and sun it is shaft HP
12)Peac

-
szaker
Chris Tilley - HPC:Factor
2004-06-02 13:25:00 UTC
Adrian,

You can't right click > install a driver like that, it's not a pure MS
Installer script, it's a little different.

Chances are that there has been a bad PnP ID assignment with the usb cradle.
you're using XP Pro here still I guess. I have something that we can use to
clear out the PnP ID data from the registry. As it's against group policy to
upload files, if you email me, I will send it your way with instructions on
what to look out for.